Benefits of a Training Log

If you're a runner, or even a regular exerciser, I suggest keeping a training log. For each day of the week, write down what you did, how you felt, pace, heart rate, course, etc. At the end of the week, you can look back and see what has been accomplished. I've even used mine to look back to last year's training to see the trends with different injuries and how many miles I was logging at the time. For runners, it's a great way to keep track of miles throughout the year, so new shoes can be bought at the right time. It can also be a great tool to keep track of long runs, easy runs, and speed work for the week. I've also found that it's a great motivator to get my butt off the couch. I hate seeing those empty days, so I try to fill them up with something, whether it be a run, strength training, or simply a walk, it doesn't matter.

Once you're keeping a written training journal, consider adding some pictures. I like to stop and snap a few pics when I'm running in a different or beautiful place. Of course, we all get our pictures taken after a race and these would be a great addition to the training log.

At the end of the year, review what you have accomplished and set your fitness goals for the upcoming year. This will give you a greater chance of achieving those goals. Then start another training log...it's been proven there's power in putting things down in writing!

Written by Genie Bianchi, RRCA Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment