Is Music Essential to Your Workout?

In January of 2012, I lost my iPhone. I was devastated and had to use an old phone until I was eligible for an upgrade. Fast forward to January of 2013 and I finally have my new iPhone! Yes, I went an entire year without it :(

During that year, I forgot what it was like to run with my music. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed my runs. I was more aware of my surroundings without the music and probably did more "deep thinking". There is just nothing that puts an extra spring in your step like a good beat.

 I went out yesterday morning and took the new phone along. It was so much fun to have the music again! I have a running playlist on my iTunes, but my favorite thing to listen to during a run is Pandora. I use the Alternative Endurance Training station and every song pushes me along. I have spent countless hours of marathon training listening to that station. It's amazing to me how much more energy one can feel during a workout when there is upbeat music playing.

If I had to pick one song out of my playlist that gets me sprinting every time, it would have to be Shake It, by Metro Station. What pushes you during your workout? Is there any one song in particular? I'd love to hear what gets everyone else moving!


Photo Credit: Photosteve101   http://www.flickr.com/photos/42931449@N07/5771025070/

3 comments:

  1. I've actually been listening to a lot of mellow music lately during my runs. Stuff like Imagine Dragons and Mumford & Sons instead of quicker music like Metro Station!

    Alternative Endurance Station?!? I'll have to check that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like running to Mumford & Sons, too. Something about the banjo:)
    That Alternative Endurance station plays them and some other mellow stuff, too. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually listened to Alt Endurance during my run today. Nice for a bit of variation :)

    ReplyDelete